Last weekend I went to the Veluwe, no nothing special and just in drab.
It is quite a long drive from where I live and frankly, I was speeding all along the way, zigzagging through the traffic quite at ease. Assertive driving you could say. Now I'll have to wait to see if I got my picture taken by any speedtrap along the way.
I started to think...
I remember when I first bought my car almost 10 years ago now, and that I was hesitating to commute to work by car, because I was scared of city traffic: Too fast, too narrow, some rudeness was required to dump my car in the proper lane. Or so I perceived.
I remember that time, just got my license and they (my sweet family, as to keep my driving skills fresh and warm) let me drive all the way around Zeeland. It is a motorway, so you may drive 100Km/h but it is just two lanes, and no other division than a white line on the road. And not even a continuous line so overtaking is allowed. Everytime I would see a car in the opposite direction I feared I would crash into them this time. But I survived :)
So I got over my anxiety, commuted to work by car. Got it damaged (and repaired of course) once when I was about to drive home and collided into a car I hadn't seen but at that time I was enough confident not to let the event scare me back into the slow safety of public transport.
Since then, I've driven in the dead of night towards La Suisse (A thing I really won't do again, can't remember a thing of it!), crossed around on Tenerife (got a parking fine there, duh) and speeded to North Cape in Norway (you are allowed to go only 80 or 90 Km/h there you know)
Dressing up and trying to be passable is just like that, I realized then.
No comments:
Post a Comment