Thursday, January 20, 2011

La Cage aux Folles

Break at the Delamar
Flashback to mid nineties, I return in the deep of the night after watching a couple of videos (VHS!) at a friend's place. Little they do know what I'm up to after getting home. I have my stash of clothes hidden in a storage locker in my cellar where our bicycles are stored. Soon after that I venture out in the night. Sans wig, sans makeup, in a wardrobe match from hell. Crazy.

A Friday in January. A handsome and stylish brunette just arrived by train and is waiting at the airport. She didn't book a flight but is waiting for her ride. She looks at the other women passing by, getting inspiration. That brunette is me. A lot has happened since these days in the mid nineties.

My phone rings. Bianca is almost there so I walk outside to the line of cars so I can see her. It is quite busy and it takes a bit longer for Bianca to turn around the corner so I took shelter under a roof. No fun getting your hair messed up by the wind left alone blowing under your dress. Sometimes men do have it easier I think.

Bianca arrives and I start waving and make a dash for her car when she stops. Soon we are on our way to the capital of the low lands. Amsterdam rush hour traffic hits us hard and we probably can't make it to an exposition in the Beurs of Berlage. In the meanwhile Bianca tells me how she was asked to pull over by the police in a inconspicuous surveillance car. She inadvertently drove through red. It stays with a warning. Sometimes women do have it easier I think.

Instead of the exposition I opt to go to backstage instead as we are in the neighborhood anyways. Bianca exchanges a concealer she feels is smelling too much and I shop around for new hair and some concealer too. We talk with one of the makeup artists, Bianca is organizing a transgender makeup workshop with them sometime in march/april. Once of the girls compliments me on my nail polish, a bright green-blueish hue I had chosen to go along with my eyeshadow in the same color.

I booked for dinner at Morlang, Keizersgracht. We're a bit early and despite the shitty weather venture a bit into Leidsestraat. Bianca heads to some shoe stores she always needs to check out by her "stylist"... poor woman :)
For myself, I apologize towards the salesgirl that I do really love what they have, but I already have waaay to many shoes, boots, etc.

After the seconds shoe store visit we walk back to Morlang. I'm a bit concerned about wedging my +4 inch stilettos between the street stones but I manage keep then unscathed that night, yay!!!

Morlang is quite empty when we arrive but soon we are surrounded by other guests. Just a few of them look puzzled at us, I just smile back. The majority is just enjoying their food, just like us. We eventually engage into small talk with our neighbors, a couple of nice ladies on a girls night out.

I go for a break in the restroom, go back up to pay for the bill and we are on our way again for the climax of our evening: The performace of La Cage aux Folles in the Delamar (new) theatre.

Of course I don't have to tell about this famous story which had already seen many adaptations on the white screen and on stage. I liked the dazzling performance. the singing, astonished on how they changed the stage from stage to backstage to living room to an outside square in St. Tropez at day and in night!.

In the break we wandered into the foyer for some drinks and the obligatory pics. Too bad the cam I borrowed to try out was not that keen on dim light whereas I had hoped to :( but yeah, that is the pic you see!

I suspect the people did not suspect there where drags in the audience too :P At least we where not greeted by drags as Eileen told they did with her when she was in de Big Apple... Bummer!

Yet the finest example of passing, what is considered to be some sort of holy grail by "our" people is yet to be told.

As a transgendered person, and especially part timers like Bianca and me you plan a lot. This is to prevent getting caught up in unforeseen situations in where you might be read or worse. Besides choosing the right look and good makeup skills showing confidence attributes to you passing in the outside world.

The original plan was for me to be dropped of at Schiphol again by Bianca, and take the intercity service back to where I live. When I arrived at the platform, in time as I have thought, the darn thing was announced no where. Did I just have missed it then ? Not short thereafter it was broadcasted that the train was cancelled on authority of the fire department. One and one makes too and I started to skim the blogosphere for more information than I was getting from the railroad corp. There was a big fire at a train yard and with both the motorway closed and train service further south was cancelled there was a slim chance in actually getting home. At that moment you'll realize that everything that is going to happen that night you have to handle it. in girl mode.

The train got as far as Rotterdam. I had a interesting discussion with a slightly pissed of businessman about how the railroad corp should have been managed. He thought of them as a bunch of imbeciles. I thought they would learn a lesson if the market was to be opened up more.

The conductor passed by and she took our names. In Rotterdam she would arrange for a taxi which would take us further. With the complaining businessman still in mind I really must say that the level of service was exceptionally good! We could go straight to the taxis without any delay, hurray!!!

I had to help the taxi driver on his way as it was his second week and while we where enroute I had a chat with my fellow passengers about the whole situation around the fire at the yard.

We finally ended up behind the blockade where I could get back to my car and got home safely.

After a short night I dressed more casual, switched the stilettos for more comfortable boots and together with Eva and Natassia head for a birthday party in Belgium :)

One crazy weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Mireille,

    I'm glad to hear you got back safely. It is difficult to have contingency plans for everything, but you seem to have coped well, so good on you. Sounds as though you had a great time in Amsterdam and I enjoyed reading about it. My wife and I recently did "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" in London and one day I hope to go to 'Cages aux Folles' as well. Keep up with the blogging.

    Hugs Tina x
    TinaCortina

    http://tinacortina.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete