Saturday, January 25, 2014

A band apart

I am standing on a square, in sight of everyone in broad daylight. That is ok, I am waiting for some other people to show up. The square is in front of the Spido ticket office and we are going for a tour of the Rotterdam harbor.

 One hour and a half or so before: I have planned a boat ride and some drinks with a couple of my friends but before that, I want to go to the city center for some quick shopping. I wanted to have this sweet sweater which is finally in the sales



and to pick up my web order of another skinny to add to my not so small of skinnies.


Had a lovely chat with the shop girls, guess I am a bit "part of the furniture" as they cheer up and start to wave when I enter the shop :)

When I collected my parcel at the Bijenkorf (big department store here in Holland) I had to show my id. Just told them my other head was one there when I handed it over and behind the counter the girl smiled and had me sign the receipt. Had a quick fit of the skinny and it was a bit too baggy. I returned the morning after to exchange it for a size smaller, no problem at all. And off I went for the meetup

Back at square one, I posted on Facebook I was waiting in front of the counter. Finesse apparently arrived earlier and came out to meet me. Then Femke showed up. Julie texted me she was parking her car. Iris showed up not that long after that.

It was close to departure time so we went inside and bought our tickets. Just after that Natassia joined our party and when we started boarding somewhat out of the blue Suzanne showed up :)


We took our seats in the front centre so we had the space and a good view outside.After some chatting the group split up, couple of people went outside for a better look and photograph some of the harbor and I got myself some coffee and apple pie for the others.

Close to the end we all got outside so we could have a good look of the S.S. Rotterdam, permanently moored and in use as a restaurant/hotel.

Apparently there was another group on the boat, couple of men having a bachelor party (I think). The would-be groom was dressed as a prisoner, complete with shackles and a heavy weight he needed to haul along. They asked for a picture with us, but we politely refused the honor :)

When we walked to the watertaxi the group followed us, but that for the other group of women who had their bachelorette party. They went on with their business and we on our own.

We shared the water taxi with 3 other women, had a little chat with them and noticed no thing about an apparent vomit smell we where warned for by some guy coming out of the taxi before we boarded. Maybe he was trying to impress us? A weird way if it where so...

Hotel New York proved to be extremely busy and crowded. Thanks to Femke we somehow managed to get a table for a fully loaded afternoon tea (said to be the best high tea arrangement in town) without booking!

It lasted till seven in the evening when we said goodbye. I didn't took the boat back, but walked with Julie and Natassia back over the Erasmus bridge, admiring the beautiful Rotterdam skyline at night and cherishing this fantastic girls day out!



1 comment: